Re: [Xen-devel] Modifying config file during live VM migration

To: "Kaushik Bhandankar" <kaushikb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Modifying config file during live VM migration
From: "Eric Van Hensbergen" <ericvh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:01:41 -0500
Cc: V9FS Developers <v9fs-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 18:02:18 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=iB3Ncxzfr+/JGdAq8gZ3Aj7komOuZafc7G6oNDlwBrE=; b=bt34BXq8YZRepozQM09RxxHVeqe9kY/SfZqFjHH2j5g6k8/WhSCtiTfRIci1NSjM8lWE0MuQYrpmuHYUCKnlI3oDLpuvKhgne4boZ21eMaUl4s6TLkdEDQBxFoNtyK2KdJ1nkpFEO8P0iN9i9UhSkl+DJLcRkvvya+5VmhnJGo8=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 10/27/07, Kaushik Bhandankar <kaushikb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am trying to establish a 9P communication channel between hypervisors
> (vmm) such that when a guest VM sitting on VMM 1 gets live-migrated to
> VMM2, it can still access the VMM1's local disk using the 9P channel
> between VMM 1 and VMM 2.
>
> For the time being, I am looking at changing the configuration file for
> the guest VM.
>
> Initially, when the guest VM is sitting on VMM 1, its IDE disk is
> specified as
>
> disk = [ 'file:/tmp/hd.img,ioemu:hda,w' ]
>
> upon live-migration from VMM1 to VMM2, I would instead want the ide disk
>   to be specified instead as
>
> disk = [ 'remote:/tmp/hd.img,ioemu:hda,w' ]

I would suggest that you'd be better off letting some form of dynamic
name space take care of this for you.  That is to say, establish a
canonical location for resources your partition needs and make sure
those resources (whether local or remote) are always bound there.  The
necessary (first?) step during migration would be to establish the
correct mounts (or binds) of those resources to the canonical
location.  You might even be able to use a synthetic file system to
help provide these resources based on some standardize URI naming
scheme.

               -eric