[Xen-devel] Balloon driver and oom-killer

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Balloon driver and oom-killer
From: "ashutosh mehra" <ashutosh.xen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 23:51:28 +0530
Delivery-date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:22:08 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I'm working on the following topic from the xen roadmap as a part of an academic project: "Improve interaction between balloon driver and page allocator to avoid memory crunch."

I have a few doubts regarding what exactly needs to be done:
  1. Should the working of the balloon driver be same as in the case of VMware ESX balloon driver? ( http://www.vmware.com/pdf/usenix_resource_mgmt.pdf )
  2. Should the balloon driver be made capable of inflating/deflating the balloon automatically or only manually by using xm mem-set?
  3. The guest OS balloon driver will have to be modified, will any modifications to xen(dom0) be required?
  4. What exactly does the number of pages in high- and low-memory balloons in the balloon_stats structure and in the output of cat /proc/xen/balloon mean?
  5. What is the current state of the balloon driver?
Please correct me if my any of my assumptions are wrong. I'd be very grateful if someone could provide any information regarding this.

Thanks,
Ashutosh