RE: [Xen-devel] cpufreq support status

To: "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Mark Langsdorf" <mark.langsdorf@xxxxxxx>, "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] cpufreq support status
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:38:56 +0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 01:40:20 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

FFH is mapped to msr for P-state handling on Intel processors. You
can refer to acpi-cpufreq.c in latest native Linux kernel, where have
logic to handle both IO space and FFH space.

Since 2.6.2*, acpi-cpufreq.c is the preferred cpufreq driver for
intel processors.

But if you look at the current 2.6.18-xen, acpi-cpufreq.c can only handle
I/O space and instead speedstep-centrino.c manipulates FFH, i.e. MSR
directly. But because the _PDC capabilities is set to FFH capable in
2.6.18, speedstep_centrino.c becomes the only drive working in this
environment then.

Thanks,
Kevin