RE: [Xen-devel] xenoprof with 2.6.9 kernel - "timer mode" problem

To: "jowkju" <jowkju@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] xenoprof with 2.6.9 kernel - "timer mode" problem
From: "Santos, Jose Renato G" <joserenato.santos@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 23:03:49 -0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:05:17 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Xenoprof does not enable profiling from the guest as it does not
virtualize performance counters.
  It only allows system wide profiling from dom0.
  You can still get profile info for the guest using the
"--passive-domains" option in opcontrol, but you have to start opcontrol
from dom0. There is also an "--active-domain" option, but it requires a
complex configuration and only recommended if you really need detailed
user level code profiling in the guest. This option also requires
starting opcontrol from dom0.
  If you run opcontrol only in the guest you will not be able to use
performance counters but only timer mode.

  You may want to check
http://xen.xensource.com/files/summit_3/xenoprof_tutorial.pdf for more
details. It is a little outdated and the version numbers have changed
but it shows the basic steps for using XenOprofile

Renato