Re: [Xen-devel] unmodified drivers question

To: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] unmodified drivers question
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 07:44:58 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 23:40:25 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The full extent of the model is to allow our 2.6.18 drivers to compile with
a range of vanilla kernel.org and related kernels. It's not a comprehensive
compat layer, but sufficient to build our drivers against most of the
kernels people seem to care about (mostly vendor kernels).

More precisely, drivers and other Xen-specific files are taken from our
2.6.18 tree, while all other headers and any other kernel metadata are
extracted from a native build tree. If you want to take the drivers and/or
Xen-specific files from a tree other than 2.6.18, you're on your own --
that's outside the scope of the unmodified_drivers/ directory's build system
(such as it is).

 -- Keir