Re: [Xen-devel] DL385 G2 - PCI-DMA: Random memory would be DMAed

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] DL385 G2 - PCI-DMA: Random memory would be DMAed
From: Zachary Richmond <admin.ihsdoor@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 15:17:01 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 13:17:45 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zachary Richmond wrote:
Keir Fraser wrote:

On 19/10/07 20:29, "Zachary Richmond" <admin.ihsdoor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Unfortunately I am still having the problem.  Having booted off a cd to
preserve log files a quick grep on dmesg shows:

PCI-DMA: Using software bounce buffering for IO (SWIOTLB)

So it is enabled, but still the kernel panic. Any other ideas on where to
poke around?

Have you increased the swiotlb size yet?

 K.

No, but my system on has 2GB for now.  I am however trying it now.

    Zak

I set swiotlb=64, rebooted. As a quick test, I am now joyfully compiling a kernel (after a clean) while running on my dom0 kernel. I'll have to do a few more tests, but since I am running gentoo I will have a bit more compiling to do. My guess is that the default swiotlb value is something else. Per Mark Williamson's suggestion earlier I'll have to let the package maintainer know about this, and likely add this to http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xen_and_Gentoo.

> Try swiotlb=16.

For now I'll probably keep it at 64 for now since I will be adding more memory later. In the meantime I'll have to read up more on the various parameters to be able to fine tune the systems.

 Thanks for all the help,

        Zak