Re: [Xen-devel] Projects on Xen

To: "Mark Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Projects on Xen
From: "ashutosh mehra" <mehra.ashutosh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 19:30:28 +0530
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 07:01:09 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=246k6yZYo4puD1fFA25IXTugfAhb22qvwW7y4rIKfPQ=; b=KSNVSP7hjgFILaAE+CK2CXISiZt/b5jFWadmUY1zmPjYaKPqceZs/Z4h8cyYsW1Wdvy/fecf0XjKh4QQ8vQSr0MPgvqvHIdjBgoCuTO3fUP8z92srROINhgKDzXX3BMJpZfx16Mlpp99zxAmgXOKqf8GHy1g4mWUNS7lnz8y6wI=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
These are the kind of projects I found interesting (in decreasing order of interest):
1) Support for multiple virtual serial consoles,
2) USB virtualization; investigate USB-over-IP code.
3) Improve interaction between balloon driver and page allocator to avoid memory crunch
4) Support for block IO QoS. Use CFQ and ionice,
5) Support for dom0 kexec/kdump to get a machine core,
6) Port Grub2 bootloader to net/blockfront devices,

If you have any other suggestions/ideas similar to these projects, please let me know. Can you give me an indication of the complexity of these projects? As I mentioned before, I have only 2 - 2.5 months for completing/doing  a fair amount of work in this project, and I haven't done any development for Xen before, just used it as a "user".

Regards,
Ashutosh

On 10/11/07, Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Actually writing a paper is not required for this course, we need to add
> some functionality to xen by writing code...Can you suggest sth like that?

Well, do you have any areas you are interesting?  Or any things from the
roadmap that you liked the look of?  Other ideas you thought might be cool?

Cheers,
Mark

> On 10/10/07, Dan Magenheimer < dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
> > Hi Ashutosh --
> >
> > An idea for you: Something that could be very useful to the open source
> > virtualization community would be a good unbiased comparison of the
> > strengths and weaknesses (both present and future) of Xen vs KVM.  A
> > really good paper might even be a candidate for Usenix or OLS (Ottawa
> > Linux Symposium).  Note that features added to the just released 2.6.23
> > kernel support both Xen and KVM.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dan Magenheimer
> >
> > ashutosh mehra wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I would like to do a project on Xen as a part of an operating systems
> > > course. I saw the Xen's To Do List, but I'm unable to pick one as I
> > > don't know how complex those projects are, or how long they will take
> > > to implement. I haven't done any projects on Xen before, I have just
> > > explored Xen as a user.
> > >
> > > I'd be glad if someone could suggest me a project on Xen (from or
> > > outside of the ToDo List) which will be suitable as a project of this
> > > course and which will not take more than 2 and half months, 3 months
> > > in the worst case. I'm a bit familiar with linux kernel internals,
> > > familiar with systems programming and have a good knowledge of C (but
> > > I'm not an expert on these fields by any means!)
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Ashutosh

Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat?  And no pedals!
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!