[Xen-devel] Boot problem with x86 VxWorks on a XEN HVM

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Boot problem with x86 VxWorks on a XEN HVM
From: Andreas Hollmann <capjo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:00:20 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 08:01:45 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

i managed to boot a VxWorks 6.5 Kernel on QEMU without kqemu acceleration.
The bootloader and the precompiled Kernel, both belong to the Pentium 3 BSP,
which was delivered with the evaluation version of windriver workbench 2.6
for "intel".

Now I tried to boot the same VxWorks bootloader and Kernel inside a XEN HVM.

I see a message from the bootloader "V1.6+++..." and the machine hangs and
nothing is printed to the serial port.

The emulated IO, which is shown by the qemu monitor, seems to be nearly the same on QEMU and XEN.

Why certain os like Minix and Vxwork don't boot on a XEN HVM, but work
without problems on QEMU and will this problem be fixed in future versions of XEN?

Regards,
Andreas