RE: [Xen-devel] Reduce CPU Utilization make Network Perfromancebetter??

To: "Mark Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Reduce CPU Utilization make Network Perfromancebetter??
From: "Santos, Jose Renato G" <joserenato.santos@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 17:57:45 -0000
Cc: Brian Fang <m9429015@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 10:58:40 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just adding a few comments to Mark's reply

  Yes, for gigabit NICs both Xen and linux can achieve
  line rate with modern machines
  As we move to 10Gb/s NICs the CPU will become the bottleneck,
  thus reducing the CPU cost should enable Xen to get better
  network throughput.

>> Also, improving the CPU utilisation encountered in the
>> course of network processing should make more CPU time
>> available to other work, which would be good.

  Right! Domains do more than just networking. Freeing cycles
  from the network stack should improve application performance.
  While the experiments are done using a micro network
  benchamark (netperf), real applications will have to do real
  work in addition to network processing.

>> > Why not show network throught directly??

  Because it is not interesting. Both Xen and linux can
  saturate a 1 Gb/s NIC and thus achieve the same
  throughput.

>> Presumably in the case of this paper the goal was to
>> illustrate the kind of measurements that Xenoprof can make
>> and the improvements in those measurements that can be
>> achieved with targetted modifications to the codebase.

  Actually the goal is to improve efficiency of Xen networking,
  to free cycles for the application and to scale to higher
  network bandwidth (i.e. 10 Gb/s)