RE: [Xen-devel] Hiding pci devices from dom0 drivers

To: "Ian Campbell" <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Hiding pci devices from dom0 drivers
From: "Kay, Allen M" <allen.m.kay@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 11:53:12 -0700
Cc: "You, Yongkang" <yongkang.you@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Han, Weidong" <weidong.han@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 11:53:53 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
What are your experiences with the reliability of the following
"pciback" script to dynamically "hide" pci devices after boot?

I found it cause system hangs about 50% of the time.

I'm also having some issues with xen0 kernel.  It has e1000 driver as
builtin.  This causes problems since I need to use the latest e1000
driver from sourceforge so I need to modify xen0 linux config to mark
e1000 as "m".

In any case, the path of least resistence for me right now is to come up
with a set of instructions to ask people to download linux-2.6.18-xen.hg
manually, move it to xen-unstable.hg, turn on PCIDEV_BACKEND='y' in
config file, and then do "make install" in xen-unstable.hg.

Let me know if there is a simpler way to do this.

Also