Re: FW: [Xen-devel] Xen Kernel Debug Tools

To: "John Anderson" <johnha@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: FW: [Xen-devel] Xen Kernel Debug Tools
From: Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 04:17:35 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:18:42 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"John Anderson" <johnha@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>This is pretty surprising. When a domU is actually running, dom0 isn't
>>really involved (other than for IO), so its surprising grsec makes a
>>difference.
>
>>Do you get any console output from the guest before it crashes? I'm
>>wandering if its actually been built incorrectly by the domain builder
>>running in dom0.
>
> I don't get any output from the guest console at all.  If I do something
> like 'xm create -c test-domu' I get 'Started domain test-domu', followed
> by a newline, and then Dom0's command prompt. 'xm list' then shows the
> domain as crashed.
>
> Does the domain builder reside in the Dom0 kernel or is it a separate
> user space program?  If it is a separate user space program, does it
> 'borrow' any code or interfaces from the kernel source or xen-sparse
> tree?  The grsecurity patches modify this code, and the non-grsec Dom0
> referenced earlier was built from a non-patched Xen tree.

It resides mostly in tools/libxc I believe. If you set "(loglevel
DEBUG)" in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp then you will get a logfile in
/var/log/xen from the domain builder detailing the memory setup in
creates before starting the kernel. Maybe you can spot something
there.

MfG
        Goswin