Re: [Xen-devel] Xen domU support merged into upstream Linux

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen domU support merged into upstream Linux
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 18:07:54 +0100
Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:06:10 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I'm pleased to announce that Linus has just merged my Xen patches into
> upstream git, so they will be released as part of 2.6.23.

Many congratulations Jeremy, that's great news.  Huge props for taking this
and making it really happen.  Hopefully it'll be a real boost for Xen.

> The patches are 32-bit domU support, including:
>
>     * netfront
>     * blockfront
>     * hvc console
>     * SMP guests

That's a nice range of functionality - all the really important core things.

> Notable missing features at the moment are support ballooning and
> suspend/migrate/resume,

Out of interest, is there a particular issue with these, or is it just a case
of concentrating on getting the core code in mainline first?

> as well as dom0 and 64-bit support.  But they're
> all on the TODO list.

I guess x86_64 is waiting on paravirt_ops stuff for that architecture, right?
I guess dom0 support will probably have to be refactored somehow to be
acceptable to mainline anyhow, but I presume we'll need (something like) more
paravirt_ops too, right?

Just curious as to what the future work would look like and where patches are
likely to be focusing.

> And, as always, patches accepted ;)

Noted ;-)  I've got a git snapshot here to play with.  Are there any
particular areas where you're looking for patches?  e.g. things that need
doing, but you don't have time to look at immediately, or bits of
infrastructure that need investigating?

Also, do you have any thoughts on Rusty's virtio stuff?

Sorry for all the random questions, well done anyhow - great stuff.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!