Re: [Xen-devel] PATCH: Enable QEMU booting of blktap disks

To: Andrew Warfield <andrew.warfield@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] PATCH: Enable QEMU booting of blktap disks
From: Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 12:35:26 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 03:33:15 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andrew Warfield wrote:
> As I've said before, I dislike the idea of having separate
> implementations of disks -- one in qemu and one in tapdisk.

The qemu one isn't going to go away due to qemu being *the* device model
for any kind of virtualization in Linux.  So if you want to have tapdisk
share the code to avoid duplication I see two possible ways to get there:

 (a) replace blktapd with qemu
 (b) put the bits into a shared library, which then can be used by
     qemu & blktapd and other tools (qemu-img, virtual machine
     management tools, ...).

cheers,
  Gerd