Re: [Xen-devel] unresolved symbols in PV driver for HVM

To: "Zhai, Edwin" <edwin.zhai@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] unresolved symbols in PV driver for HVM
From: Kieran Mansley <kmansley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 15:26:57 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 07:24:49 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 21:35 +0800, Zhai, Edwin wrote:
> all,
>
> On latest tip, following symbols are unresolved when inserting modules
>
> xen_balloon: Unknown symbol totalhigh_pages
> xen_vnif: Unknown symbol netfront_accelerator_call_resume
> xen_vnif: Unknown symbol netfront_accelerator_call_suspend_cancel
> xen_vnif: Unknown symbol netfront_accelerator_call_stop_napi_irq
> xen_vnif: Unknown symbol balloon_update_driver_allowance
> xen_vnif: Unknown symbol netfront_check_accelerator_queue_busy
> xen_vnif: Unknown symbol netfront_accelerator_call_backend_changed
> xen_vnif: Unknown symbol netif_init_accel
> xen_vnif: Unknown symbol netfront_accelerator_call_suspend
> xen_vnif: Unknown symbol netfront_load_accelerator
> xen_vnif: Unknown symbol netfront_accelerator_call_remove
> xen_vnif: Unknown symbol init_accelerator_vif
> xen_vnif: Unknown symbol balloon_release_driver_page

I'm not sure about the balloon_* symbols, but the accelerator stuff will
be due to the recent changeset sent in by me.  I'm sorry this isn't
working for you, but must confess I don't fully understand why it's not.
I can point you at the patches that will have caused this if you want to
back them out, but that won't help with the balloon symbols.

> netfront/accel.c is not included in Kbuild, but still has unsolved symbol
> after
> add accel.o in Kbuild.

That in itself is rather odd. The patches should have included a change
to the Makefile in drivers/xen/netfront to make it look like this:

===
obj-$(CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND)       := xennet.o

xennet-objs := netfront.o accel.o
===

In addition, as all the accelerator symbols that are listed above are in
accel.c, if you've added that file they should then be found.

> Changes in PV side easily break PV driver on HVM:(

Perhaps there is some subtlety of PV-on-HVM that I've missed.

Kieran