Re: [Xen-devel] VMX: emulated guest use SYSENTER MSRs

To: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] VMX: emulated guest use SYSENTER MSRs
From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 13:52:37 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 05:50:45 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Probably because the existing code must remain anyway (since not all VMX
CPUs support the MSR bitmap), and the benefit of avoiding the intercepts on
CPUs that do support it would have entirely negligible performance benefit,
since the MSRs are written only at start of day. We could add calls to avoid
the intercepts anyway though, if you want to provide a patch.

 -- Keir