Re: [Xen-devel] LTTng Xen port : finally in a repository near you

* INAKOSHI Hiroya (inakoshi.hiroya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> > * INAKOSHI Hiroya (inakoshi.hiroya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> >> Hi Mathieu,
> >>
> >> thanks for your reply.  I can understand your opinion very well but a
> >> concern is that cpu ids on a guest OS are different from those on Xen
> >> because they are virtualized.  The number of vcpus in a guest OS is also
> >> different from that of pcpus as you mentioned.  I wondered if the two
> >> traces could be merged directly.  If you translate vcpu ids to pcpu ids
> >> in writing records in the trace buffer in Xen, this concern is solved in
> >> a natural way.
> >>

> > When you are executing code in dom0 or domUs, how do you plan to get the
> > physical CPU number on which the tracing is done ?
>
> I am considering the way where dom0 or domUs call hypercalls to write
> records in the Xen's trace buffer.  In this setting, the vcpu info is
> located in the xen kernel stack and the pcpu is the one performing the
> hypercall.  So, I can resolve the mapping between vcpu id and pcpu id.

The performance hit that goes with going through an hypercall for each
traced event would be too high. Typically, changing ring level involves
executing an interrupt routine, which takes a few thousands nanoseconds.
My tracing probes runs within the traced ring in about 270ns (as tested
on a Pentium 4 3GHz).

Mathieu

Mathieu Desnoyers