[Xen-devel] What happened to xm block-refresh?

To: Xen Development list <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] What happened to xm block-refresh?
From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 01:37:11 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:35:10 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Xen folks--

I recently ran into some issues surrounding changing block device
sizes on a debian etch xen install, documented here:

  https://www.debian-administration.org/users/dkg/weblog/19

In particular, the situation is that the backing device (on the dom0)
has changed size, and i want to get the domU attached the "FrontDev"
to notice that the size has changed while continuously using the block
device.

It looks to me like xm block-refresh would have been just the thing
for the job, but it was removed nearly 2 years ago:

 http://osdir.com/ml/emulators.xen.cvs/2005-10/msg00088.html

It would be really helpful to me to have this functionality, because
it would mean no downtime for the data on the block device (assuming
ext3 fs, which supports online growing these days).  Is there
something i can do to help resurrect this feature?  What would need to
happen to bring it back?  I searched for more details about it, but
didn't find anything recent that looked promising.  If i've missed it,
a URL or two to point me in the right direction would be much
appreciated.

Thanks for a wonderful toolset.  Xen is really great, even if i'm
getting stuck on this one little corner!

Regards,

        --dkg