Re: [Xen-devel] xm save -checkpoint supported?

To: Brendan Cully <brendan@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xm save -checkpoint supported?
From: Claris Castillo <ccastil@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 14:02:34 -0400
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:00:39 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Well the problem is that  I want to be able to 'checkpoint" a running VM
periodically for
a server availability experiment and I need some sort of documentation to
even know if
it is possible with Xen.

I did not find anything in the documentation about this feature but I
emailed the user list
and I got a reply from Matt where he referred me to "xm save -c" BUT I have
Xen 3.1
running on RHEL 5 and the manual page does not  include any information
about  "xm save -c <vm> <savefile>".
Am I missing something with Xen 3.1?

In your email you mentioned  "external-device-migrate". I just looked at
the script and it does not
seem to perform the checkpointing.  Does this feature works similar to the
one
VMWare uses (REDELOG?).

I know these kind of questions  are more appropriate for the users-mailing
list but for some
reason Xen users don't seem to be using the checkpointing feature at all
(or nobody
has ran into any issue with the feature --> which it is pretty good!)

cc