Re: [Xen-devel] keep console attached during reboot?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] keep console attached during reboot?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 17:24:52 +0100
Cc: John Hannfield <hal9020@xxxxxxxxx>, Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 09:22:57 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I'm using xen 3.1.0. In the older xen 2.0.4

Glad to see upgrades are still happening :-)  Had you been using 2.0.4, or had
you just not used Xen for ages?  It seems some people have been getting > 1
year uptimes out of Xen, which is nice to know about.

> you could reboot a
> machine while attached
> to it's console, and it would stay attached, allowing you to see the
> full boot up. However
> this changed in 3.0.x . Now on reboot the console detaches, and you
> have to re-attach to the new domid. Is there a way to get back the old
> behaviour?

Yes, I miss it too - I'd had a feeling we used to support this but couldn't
remember when.  Currently I don't think there's not a way to get back to the
old behaviour.

> Can someone point out where in the code
> this takes place, so I can try hacking it.

I suspect that modifying tools/console/client/main.c to reconnect if possible
when a connection drops would be the easiest way to hack this in.

The strictly proper way IMO would be to modify tools/console/daemon/ to only
close the connection if a VM has shutdown / been destroyed, otherwise
establish a console ring with the new domain and continue using the same
connection.  I might have a look at this if nobody else gets to it first...

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!