Re: [Xen-devel] troubles using network boot with HVM guest

To: Guillaume Rousse <Guillaume.Rousse@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] troubles using network boot with HVM guest
From: Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 16:07:15 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 08:05:25 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 16:34 +0200 on 06 Jun (1181147651), Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> Tim Deegan a écrit :
> > Can you check the DHCP server settings, and whether your proxy is doing
> > something wierd to the packet?
>
> I did check with a real host, it worked perfectly.

Was your test host using an rtl8139 and etherboot?  Did grub work on it?

> But you find the
> issue: the server was only answering PXE requests, whereas the emulated
> network card send an etherboot one.Just adding etherboot configuration
> on the server was enough to provide a functional answer.

Great!

> I was able to make the virtual domain download a grub stage2 built for
> rtl839. As I was not able to rebuild grub myself (compilation errors), I
> used this one
> http://cvs.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gi/tools/i386/netboot/rtl8139/?pathrev=MDK-2006_0-update
>
> Once loaded, the virtual host send a new DHCP request, and then ignore
> the answer once again, despite the fact than the next-server field is
> correct. According to my knowledge, it should finish the DHCP
> transaction, then requires /boot/grub/menu.list from the tftp server.

Aiee!  Grub will be using its own driver and IP stack, so presumably has
other restrictions on what it thinks a DHCP response should look like.
Have you considered using pxelinux? :)

Cheers,

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, XenSource UK Limited
Registered office c/o EC2Y 5EB, UK; company number 05334508