RE: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-staging] [xen-unstable] If we find aLinuxreposi

To: "Cui, Dexuan" <dexuan.cui@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-staging] [xen-unstable] If we find aLinuxrepository in $(LINUX_SRC_PATH) then symlink it
From: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 16:27:36 +0100
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 08:25:54 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 16:29 +0800, Cui, Dexuan wrote:
> In my host, "hg path default" points to an internal
> host(http://staging-mirror:8000) that mirrors
> http://xenbits2.xensource.com/staging/xen-unstable.hg.
> So I should mirror http://xenbits2.xensource.com/staging/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg
> also? What should I set the default hg path to?

I think this setup is going to break the scheme which we have.

We derive the Linux path from
        $(dirname $(hg path default))/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg
which is going to be http://linux-2.6.18-xen.hg for you which is
completely wrong. Presumably you need
http://staging-mirror:<some-other-port> which unfortunately cannot be
automatically derived.

I can suggest a few workarounds, if you have any other ideas I'd be glad
to consider them.

You could set XEN_LINUX_HGREPO in your environment to point to the
correct mirror.

Alternatively you could pre-clone linux-2.6.18.hg into your source tree,
then the build will simply use it. Or you could pre-clone
linux-2.6.18.hg in the same directory as your xen-unstable.hg and the
build system will then use that, via $(LINUX_SRC_PATH) which is ".:.."
by default.

We could check in select-repository for "hg path default-linux" before
we go down the route of deriving the path from "hg path default". Then
you could add the correct path to .hg/hgrc. If this seems acceptable let
me know (preferably with a patch ;-))

> Btw: it seems "make world" first deletes the directory
> "xen-top-level-dir/ linux-2.6.18-xen.hg" if the directory exists --
> this means I have to clone the linux-2.6.18-xen.hg every time I make
> world?

make world is the same as "make clean kdelete dist", so yes it will
delete the repositories, in the same way it used to delete linux-FOO,
ref-linux-FOO and pristine-linux-FOO requiring you to unpack and repatch
again.

Ian.