Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: making the xen startup integrate better with distro

To: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: making the xen startup integrate better with distros
From: Nate Carlson <natecars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 09:40:41 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 07:39:01 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 1 Jun 2007, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
What follows below is an outline of what we're changing in Xen startup for Fedora 8. I know historically when getting into initscripts you tend to hit distro specific issues. So I'm posting this to see if there's any interest from others in having these changes integrated upstream. I'd like to thing that with a few minor tweaks this is general enough to be useful to other Linux distros at least - the init script is basically making use of LSB defined functions...

Sounds like an excellent idea. Debian and Ubuntu don't ship with a 'functions' file, but I think this could easily be made to work on both.

* The individual daemons should each be started from the init scripts
  directly. User can see exactly what's started & what's running. We
  can then easily pass custom command line args to each one.

Agreed. The other advantage of this is that it would be easy to launch said programs from a daemon monitoring app (ie, daemontools, etc).

* Drop a file in /etc/sysconfig/xen allowing user to customize the
  startup options for individual daemons.

Like you said, also /etc/default/xen on Debian. Debian does already have an /etc/default/xendomains which control the way that domains are started/stopped.

We can also trigger a reload by directly sending each reloadable daemon a SIGHUP. This makes xend re-read its config file, and make xenconsoled re-open its logfiles

Beautiful!

The attached patch shows the changes to the init script to do this, as well as killing off most of tools/misc/xend (what becomes /usr/sbin/xend). It could probably go a bit further a kill off alot of stuff in the python class tools/python/xen/xend/server/SrvDaemon.py since much of that isn't needed now that its leveraging standard LSB init functions to do most of the PID file handling for shutdown, reload, status commands.

The Debian packaging for Xen also includes a pile of patches to allow python paths and such to be more configurable - this is because Debian allows you to have multiple versions of the tools and hypervisor installed. It'd be really nice to see these integrated upstream; they are the primary thing that takes awhile to patch up with each new Xen release to get Debian packages built. If you're interested in seeing what they are, I can post them, or convince one of the regular Deb developers to upload them. :)