RE: [Xen-devel] RFC: MCA/MCE concept

To: Gavin.Maltby@xxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] RFC: MCA/MCE concept
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 13:38:09 +0200
Cc: "Egger, Christoph" <Christoph.Egger@xxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 04:36:38 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No, HV can "kill" a guest without notifying the guest - in worst case, it may
need to pause the physical CPU that may still be running on the guest (e.g. we
have multiple CPU's, one of them got "bad data", but other CPU's are still
processing stuff). But the pausing of the CPU is a "in hypervisor" function, so
still no need to tell the guest anything - just "Bang, you're dead" type thing.

> > Emulating MCE to the guest wasn't my intended alternative
> suggestion. Instead,
> > my idea was that if the guest hasn't registered a "PV MCE
> handler", we just
> > immediately kill the domain as such - e.g similar to
> "domain_crash_synchronous()".
>  > Don't let the guest have any chance to "do something
> wrong" in the process - it's
>  > already broken, and letting it run any further will almost
> certainly not help matters.
>  > This may not be the prettiest solution, but then on the
> other hand, a "Windows blue-screen"
>  > or Linux "oops" saying GP fault happened at some random
> place in the guest isn't exactly
> > helping the SysAdmin understand the problem either.
>
> Agreed - don't let the affected guest run one more
> instruction if we can.  Sysadmins
> will learn to consult dom0 diagnostics to see if they explain
> any sudden guest deaths -
> no need, as you say, to splurge any raw error data to them.

Exactly, particularly when it's bogus raw error data, that isn't actually
caused by the original problem.

--
Mats