[Xen-devel] [RFC] Xen paravirtual watchdog device [0/4]

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Xen paravirtual watchdog device [0/4]
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 04:44:29 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 31 May 2007 20:42:47 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

As I've previously mentioned, I've been tinkering with a Xen-based virtual
watchdog device and I think it's about time I put out some patches for
discussion.  The principle of the watchdog device is to provide a simple,
high-assurance watchdog to domains running on Xen.  The goal is to give
better assurance than an in-kernel software watchdog.

The patches were developed for 2.6.16.33, but I've done what fixups I could
see were necessary to make them apply against tip but I still need to test it
works there correctly.  I'm primarily just putting these out here for people
to eyeball and argue about, but if you do try them out please let me know how
you get on.

Under Linux, a watchdog daemon is typically run in userspace.  This talks to
the watchdog device driver through /dev/watchdog, which is responsible for
resetting the timeout on the watchdog device whenever the daemon kicks it.
The reliance on the userspace daemon ensures that scheduling, etc, is still
occurring correctly in the system, and makes it easy for different
functionality to be implemented on top of the basic watchdog feature.

The XenLinux watchdog driver sets up the in-Xen watchdog for the current
domain using a simple hypercall interface.  The watchdog timer is implemented
within Xen itself, isolating it from any guest bugs that might take out a
normal software watchdog.  Standard interfaces to userspace are supported so
that any watchdog-aware software should be able to interact with it without
modification.

The patchset also includes some watchdog-awareness enhancements for the dom0
toolset (more of these are possible in the future).

Comments, questions, abuse, anyone?

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.