RE: [Xen-devel] Performance Counter Virtualization in Xen

To: Christian Ehrhardt <ehrhardt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Santos, Jose Renato G" <joserenato.santos@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Performance Counter Virtualization in Xen
From: "Bhatia, Nikhil" <bhatia@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 02:52:19 -0400
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 20 May 2007 23:58:24 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Christian,

Does the power PC still use the PM API for getting performance counters? I
think, PAPI uses PMAPI underneath to get the performance counter data on a
power PC. So, if there is a patched PMAPI library available for the Xen port on
power PC, then a user might be able to easily use PAPI for per-domain
profiling. Currently, I don't have an access to a Power PC machine with root
privileges. However, if I get hold of such a machine, I would love to try this
out and share my findings.

Thanks,
Nikhil