RE: [Xen-devel] trap/interrupt gate for hypercall

To: "Keir Fraser" <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] trap/interrupt gate for hypercall
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 23:18:57 +0800
Cc: "Liu, Jinsong" <jinsong.liu@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 May 2007 08:17:24 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So why is atomic save required for hypercall here? NMI can break
atomic save here for both types, as you said. Normally external
interrupt handler doesn't need communicate with interrupted
context. So even when an external interrupt comes in the middle
of the guest context save for hypercall (if by trap gate), that
interrupted save process can still continue since interrupt handler
itself will impose atomic context save/restore on top of interrupted
context.

Thanks
Kevin