RE: [Xen-devel] Xen on top of xen

To: "Koripella Srinivas" <talkwithsrinivas@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Xen on top of xen
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 11:08:55 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 May 2007 02:11:44 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, to put it simply, once you set up the SVM/VMX feature, it doesn't
allow another such setup on top of it. It would be technically possible
to support this in a processor designed to do so, but at the moment,
neither of AMD's or Intel's CPU's support this. It is clearly easier to
design a processor that only supports one level of "nesting" of
virtualization[1], and it is also debatable what the REAL benefit of
running nested virtual machines would be - I'm sure if it was a huge
benefit compared to the effort of implementing it[2], at least one of
the two producers of virtualizable x86 processors would have added such
fearures...

[1] Keeping one set of data for where to return to when the VMExit
happens, for example, is easier than having a "stack" of such.

[2] On top of the extra effort to design and test such feature, there is
also a potential performance penalty for nesting VM's, since there is
more logic involved. Depending on where that extra logic ends up, it may
be necessary to add a further clock-cycle to some operation.

--
Mats