[Xen-devel] [0/2] Remove netloop by lazy copying in netback

Subject: [Xen-devel] [0/2] Remove netloop by lazy copying in netback
From: Herbert Xu <herbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 21:30:56 +1000
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 May 2007 04:29:28 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Keir:

Here is a repost of the patches to remove the need of netloop by
copying in netback and only if it is necessary.

Here's the original description:

The rationale is that most packets will be processed without
delay allowing them to be freed without copying at all.  So instead
of copying every packet destined to dom0 we'll only copy those that
linger longer than a specified amount of time (currently 0.5s).

As it is netloop doesn't take care of all delays anyway.  For
instance packets delayed by qdisc or netfilter can hold up
resources without any limits.  Also if bridging isn't used
then traffic to dom0 does not even go through netloop.

Testing shows that these patches do eliminate the copying for
bulk transfers.  In fact, bulk transfer throughput from domU
to dom0 are increased by around 50%.  Even when the copying
path is taken the performance is roughly equal to that of
netloop despite the unoptimised copying path.

The copying is achieved through a new grant table operation.
I've only implemented it for x86.  However, there is a fallback
path for other platforms so they should continue to work.  It
shouldn't be too hard to implement this for ia64/ppc (for someone
with access to them).

In future I intend to exntend this idea to support lazy
copying for dom0 to domU as well which should give us a
complete zero-copy path from one domU to another.

Cheers,