RE: [Xen-devel] svm: save_svm_cpu_user_regs vs. svm_store_cpu_guest_regs

To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] svm: save_svm_cpu_user_regs vs. svm_store_cpu_guest_regs
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 13:01:50 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 May 2007 04:00:26 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, that's my fault. I got tired of having a million checks of the type
"if (reg == RAX) ... vmcb->rax ... ; else ... regs->something ...;" in
the svm-code to deal with the fact that the RAX register isn't part of
the normally saved on the stack registers.

I agree that is should be symmetrical tho'.

> > The point
> > here is that CS:RIP, RFLAGS, and SS:RSP may need to be
> stored, and the fact
> > that VMX doesn't do so doesn't mean it can be freely
> removed from SVM code:
>
> Okay then, more precisely: modulo bugs it can be removed. Or
> we load/save
> all VMCB state into the regs structure in exits.S, increasing latency
> slightly for all vmexits but avoiding any risk of
> inconsistent 'struct regs'
> state.

Agreed.

--