[Xen-devel] Trying to understand HVM booting

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Trying to understand HVM booting
From: "Steven Y. Ko" <sko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:45:44 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:44:19 -0700
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:x-google-sender-auth; b=Qf15w0ZbuTCBDGXjkwpL/CuRnTzaQxsHTJBS5jBhUj2HfEs3hpaDp3xUgMhvZS7BVy9Bh3yC+s/+BaNW8dflHFlmdVRtTn/LfmQQDDKONGssUpmZQo5PLGex4irZecq4snci/LJizAreduI5duem0oFQt8XGpcexsEAev9EnmUk=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I'm trying to understand how HVM booting works. By my limited
understanding of the Xen code, it seems that a new domain is scheduled
but paused (or is it paused?) by domain_create() in
xen/common/domain.c. Then xc_hvm_build() in tools/libxc/xc_hvm_build.c
loads hvmloader and calls a hypercall with XEN_DOMCTL_setvcpucontext.
It looks like, when executing this hypercall, domain_unpause() is
called (in xen/common/domctl.c) and it starts the execution of
hvmloader. Is this correct? My understanding is very limited, and it
would be great if someone can point out some important pieces of code
so I can look into it.

Also, I'm looking at hvmloader, and wondering where it actually starts
code it reads the disk to load the kernel. Can anyone give me some
pointers? Thanks!

- Steve