Re: [Xen-devel] Instant Xen guest (guest-magic tool)

To: Gaurav Maheshbhai Patel <gmpatel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Instant Xen guest (guest-magic tool)
From: Steve Kemp <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:06:18 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 02:05:03 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 09:51:46PM -0500, Gaurav Maheshbhai Patel wrote:

> Give new guest domain name and memory. You Are Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> We also successfully released it on sourceforge.net.

> This is our first release. And development is in progress.
> Comments and suggestion is HIGHLY appriciated.

  Just two quick comments.

  Firstly it doesn't seem to do everything, just create an LVM volume
 and the configuration file.  I was hoping it would install fresh
 copies of Fedora/Debian/Gentoo/etc.

  Secondly you shouldn't really be using /tmp in the way that you
 are.  This is very dangerous:

        commands.getoutput('xm list > /tmp/guestmagic')

  "xm" has to be run as root, so what you're doing is writing the
 output of a command, as root, into a file in /tmp which anybody
 else upon the system might have created.

  Consider what happens if userA were to run:

        ln -s /tmp/guestmagic /etc/passwd

  The next time you run your application the password file would
 be trashed!

  I'd suggest you either use a pipe, or a secure *unpredictable*
 filename instead.

Steve
--
Debian GNU/Linux System Administration