[Xen-devel] Permissive mode: HFC card

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Permissive mode: HFC card
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 00:01:51 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 14:59:42 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

I have a HFC ISDN card which I want to use in a domU. (A second ISDN
Fritz!Card with driver "fcpci" works fine). But the HFC card does not work.

Because of Sharing interrupts between dom0 and domU (I don't want this
but I found no of avoiding this) I boot the dom0 and also the domU with
the option "noirqdebug". Else, the machine(s) crash. (But: the shared
interrupt concerns the Fritz!Card and a USB controller in dom0 -
normally it should have nothing to do with the HFC card!)

The ordinary driver for Asterisk ("zaphfc") compiles and loads without
any problems. But there is no interrupt generated! (Although it should
generate 8000/s):

# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
 18:     224563        Phys-irq  fcpci
 20:          0        Phys-irq  zaphfc
[...]

Another strange notice: The driver loads with the warning message:
Apr  8 00:16:00 nobaq kernel: zaphfc: hfc busy.

Alternative drivers from mISDN don't work either. The first time, I load
the mISDN driver, the following message appears:

Driver tried to write to a read-only configuration space field at offset
0x44, size 2. This may be harmless but if you have problems with your
device:
1) See permissive attribute in sysfs
2) Report problems to the xen-devel mailing list along with details of
your device obtained from lspci.

Well, yes, I have problems with the device, big problems.

This messages just appears sometimes. E.g. when reloading the modules
the message does not appear any more.
But the mISDN driver has the same effect as the zaphfc driver: The
driver loads successfully but nothing happens (no dialtone, ...)

So I tried to set permissive mode.

The zaphfc driver loads successfully with "insmod" and generated two
interrupts. But after initializing the card (with ztcfg) the domU
immideately ooops and there are lots of messages like "hda: Lost
interrupt" in dom0. After that, the dom0 is not operateable any more.

A bit better with the mISDN drivers: The drivers load successfully and
with Asterisk, the card works for a few seconds. Configured in NT-mode I
get a dialtone from the phones. But in the middle of the first call the
same happens as with zaphfc: The domU oops and the dom0 is no longer
operatable (just messages like hda: Lost interrupt).

So I make use from (2) and do hope that anyone knows more or can help.

Here is a
# lspci -vvvvvv
0000:00:00.0 Network controller: AVM Audiovisuelles MKTG & Computer
System GmbH A1 ISDN [Fritz] (rev 02)
        Subsystem: AVM Audiovisuelles MKTG & Computer System GmbH
FRITZ!Card ISDN Controller
        Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 18
        Region 0: Memory at f1000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
[disabled] [size=32]
        Region 1: I/O ports at a800 [disabled] [size=32]

0000:00:01.0 Network controller: Cologne Chip Designs GmbH ISDN network
controller [HFC-PCI] (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Cologne Chip Designs GmbH ISDN Board
        Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

from domU.

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,