Re: [Xen-devel] numa=on broken

To: Ryan Harper <ryanh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] numa=on broken
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 16:51:26 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 16:51:49 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 1/4/07 14:46, "Ryan Harper" <ryanh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I don't think that auto-ballooning is a particularly sensible setting for
>> serious use of Xen. I'd always advise to work out how much memory your dom0
>> actually needs and make that a static allocation at boot time. But it is our
>> out-of-the-box default: another thing that needs explicit changing (via
>> dom0_mem= in this case).
>
> Right.  It looks like then that it would make sense to leave numa off by
> default leaving the admin to specify both numa=on and a sensible
> dom0_mem in the absence of a mechanism for dom0 to hand back memory from
> a specific node, or some page migration mechanism.

That's my thinking. I'll see about getting some numa=on testing mixed into
our regression tests, however. There's no reason not to run some proportion
of them with numa=on, although actually most of our test systems are not
NUMA (a few are though).

 -- Keir