RE: [Xen-devel] System time monotonicity

To: "John Levon" <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] System time monotonicity
From: "Ian Pratt" <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 15:36:48 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 07:34:43 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Some instrumentation indicated that we had cross-VCPU jitter of
> > significant deltas, ~18us at worst. Though the
> instrumentation wasn't
> > completely reliable so that might not be accurate.
>
> I've done some more testing, the problem appears to be
> significantly worse than you're claiming. I store the
> previously read value in the thread structure and breakpoint
> whenever it fails:

Try booting with one physical (maxcpus=1 on the xen command line) CPU
just to verify this isn't a multi-CPU issue.

If you're still seeing jitter, please post the boot logs.

We've seen this on white-box AMD systems which were over heating and the
CPU was bouncing in and out of thermal throttling, but never on a tier-1
vendor system.

You could try switching between the PIT and HPET as the calibration
source.

Ian