[Xen-devel] RE: [Xen-staging] [xen-unstable] hvm: Remove access to QEMU

To: "Anthony Liguori" <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] RE: [Xen-staging] [xen-unstable] hvm: Remove access to QEMU monitor inVNC server
From: "Christian Limpach" <Christian.Limpach@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 14:41:39 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 14:41:11 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> QEMU 0.9.0 supports redirecting the monitor to a unix socket and
> supports reconnecting to the monitor (so that the banner is
> shown each
> time).
>
> When using these options, you can actually execute monitor
> commands from
> the command line by doing something like:
>
> echo help | socat stdin unix:/path/to/socket
>
> With these patches (or by moving qemu-dm up to 0.9.0),
> someone could add
> an xm monitor command that let you execute commands via xm.
>
> That, IMHO, would be the best possible solution.

I've found that redirecting the monitor using "-monitor pty" works quite
well since you get access to it using xm console.  That might have been
broken recently though by the changes to how pty information is written
to xenstore.

I think it would be better to extend xm console to support additional
pty's instead of adding a single purpose xm monitor command.

    christian