[Xen-devel] memsize for HVM save/restore

To: Keir <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] memsize for HVM save/restore
From: "Zhai, Edwin" <edwin.zhai@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 19:37:21 +0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 04:42:16 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
As you know, HVM save/restore broke recently because restored config miss guest
memsize that used by xc_hvm_restore to locate some pfn.

After discussion, we decided to remove the pfn deduction logic from restore
side
by adding a general memory layout. I have a patch for it.

But then qemu broke, because it also require the memsize to locate the share
page. We can't use the previous method, as it requires a lot of changes in qemu.

The memsize in xmconfig file is only used at the beginning of create, then
lost when runing and restore. we have memory_{dynamic,static}_{max,min} for
keeping mem config, but all of them are useless in this case.

I have witnessed the fluctuation of memsize config: first as 'memory', then
'memory_static_min', now disappear.

Guest memsize is an important parameter, so it should be constantly kept in an
fixed config entry just like others(vcpus...). Am I right?

--
best rgds,
edwin