Re: [Xen-devel] Soft lockup/Time went backwards in latest unstable

To: Derek Murray <Derek.Murray@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Soft lockup/Time went backwards in latest unstable
From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:22:26 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 05:21:48 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 26/2/07 12:39, "Derek Murray" <Derek.Murray@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The reason I attributed the blame to 3.0.4 was because I had seen the
> same bug in -unstable during the 3.0.3-3.0.4 interregnum; however,
> this bug seems to have been fixed for the 3.0.4 release, and re-
> emerged since with the transition to 2.6.18.
>
> Is there a pattern for how these bugs have been fixed in the past, so
> that I could go about trying to make a patch?

Unfortunately not. There were big changes to Linux's time handling between
2.6.16 and 2.6.18 so bugs may hav ebeen introduced while porting out own
timer code. It might be worth diffing the file time-xen.c from working and
non-working Linux kernels. It's weird that the failure mode is bad on the
T60p yet noone else has reported this bug, nor has our testing reproduced
it. :-(

 -- Keir