[Xen-devel] Re: [patch 07/21] Xen-paravirt: remove ctor for pgd cache

To: Christoph Lameter <clameter@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch 07/21] Xen-paravirt: remove ctor for pgd cache
From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 15:33:09 -0800
Cc: Zachary Amsden <zach@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 15:32:29 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
>

>> Remove the ctor for the pgd cache.  There's no point in having the
>> cache machinery do this via an indirect call when all pgd are freed in
>> the one place anyway.
>>

> Great. We finally get rid of this evil .....
>
> On second throughts:
>
> Are you sure that you understand what you are modifying? The ctor is not
> called when you allocate an object but when the slab allocates it. Freeing
> an object does not make the slab free it. It will hold it for the next
> kmalloc. So you may just have reduced performance somewhat by addiung
> additional ctor processing and possibly disturbed the preservation of
> cache hot pgds.
It's true I wrote this patch as a result of accidentally reading slob.c
rather than slab.c, which was mostly as a result of hopeful thinking (I
knew that there has been discussion about removing all the slab cache
stuff, and I assumed that it had already happened).  As a result I'm
withdrawing this patch for now, but with any luck it will be useful at
some point.