Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch 14/21] Xen-paravirt: Add XEN config options a

To: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch 14/21] Xen-paravirt: Add XEN config options and disable unsupported config options.
From: Zachary Amsden <zach@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 02:55:04 -0800
Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian Pratt <ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dan Hecht <dhecht@xxxxxxxxxx>, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>, virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steven Hand <steven.hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 02:58:01 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keir Fraser wrote:
On 16/2/07 10:19, "Zachary Amsden" <zach@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Doesn't stop_machine_run already take care of getting you out of all
kernel threads?  So you can only be sleeping, not preempted, in which
case, this might not be an issue?

It ensures that no (non-stopmachine) threads are running on any of the other
CPUs, but it doesn't guarantee that all threads are at any form of quiescent
point. They can certainly have private references to machine addresses.

Otherwise, what would be the point of the process freezer? :-)

Yeah, I was over-hoping on that one. At least thought it was worth suggesting as a starting point. I had similar issues considering loading VMI as a module at runtime.

Zach