RE: [Xen-devel] HVM live migration status?

To: "Pasi Kärkkäinen" <pasik@xxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] HVM live migration status?
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:17:14 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 03:18:48 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You could possibly play with migration, but I think Live migration is a bit in
the future - it require shadow paging to support log-dirty, which is currently
not supported - because for live migration, you keep the old domain running
whilst starting the new one, and to understand what has changed since the start
of migration until "handover", you need to know which pages of memory has been
modified during the "copy" of memory.

Currently live migration is "early abort" in xc_hvm_save() - it checks the
"live" flag and says "Can't do Live save". But that's a small patch, compared
to supporting log-dirty.

--
Mats