Re: [Xen-devel] [rfc/patch] pv-on-hvm: make netfront grab PCI ressources

To: Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxx>, Xen devel list <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [rfc/patch] pv-on-hvm: make netfront grab PCI ressources.
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 17:13:18 +0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 09:13:06 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 8/2/07 16:50, "Gerd Hoffmann" <kraxel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> This patch makes netfront grab the rtl8139 PCI ressources when running
> as paravirtualized driver in a HVM domain.  If the driver fails to grab
> the ressources it refuses to load.  If it succeeds grabbing the
> ressources this shoulld prevent any other driver from taking the device.
>
> This makes sure that we don't have two drivers (8139 pci driver and
> netfront) active for the same device.

It seems to me this is a tools issue: they should ensure that only netback
or qemu advertises a particular interface. Or qemu interface could be
disabled when netback is connected to (although that wouldn't stop rtl8139
driver seeing the deactivated qemu interface). In any case, doing a hack in
netfront doesn't work if the rtl8139 driver gets probed first?

 -- Keir