Re: [Xen-devel] Dynamic Memory Management and Migration (3.0.4-0)

To: "Timo Benk" <timo.benk@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Dynamic Memory Management and Migration (3.0.4-0)
From: "Tim Wood" <twwood@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:59:39 -0500
Cc: Xen devel list <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 07:59:14 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 1/31/07, Timo Benk <timo.benk@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

i noticed the following Problem:

if i want to allow dynamic memory management of Linux-domains, i need to
set the following kernel parameter. Otherwise it is not possible, to
increase the memory of the domain above the initial assigned value:

extra = "mem=10240M"

But now it is not possible to migrate the domain. If try an offline
migration, the xm-command hangs forever.

You may want to try initially giving the domain the full allocation
and then decreasing its share once it has booted.  You should be able
to expand back to the full amount.  I have used this method and
successfully performed migrations in the past.

One time i tried a live migration, the domain just disappears. The
domain was neither running on the src-domain-0 nor on the dst-domain-0,
the domain just vanished.

I have noticed that live migration of domains which are not currently
allocated their full amount of memory can take much longer.  There was
speculation that this was because of millions of debug logs which
inadvertently get printed out and slow progress to a crawl.  This may
well have been fixed in recent versions of xen, I'm still stuck back a
generation or two on my systems.