[Xen-devel] Re: Regarding Xen security....

Mark Williamson wrote:
The vast majority of this is, as Keith Adams put its, "quasi-illiterate
gibberish."

http://x86vmm.blogspot.com/2006/08/blue-pill-is-quasi-illiterate.html

Having VT/SVM doesn't really change anything wrt rootkits.  Most of what
is floating around is FUD.  There's nothing you can do today that you
couldn't do before VT/SVM.
This is true in some manner, it's just that VT/SVM let a rootkit hide
itself pretty well from the operating system that it is already
attacking. But no doubt it's FUD. At the other end though, Intel
invests a lot of efforts in marketing VT as a synonym for security.

I always thought the principle behind blue pill was quite sensible. It's not demonstrating a fundamental flaw / bug in the hardware design (I'm not sure it was originally presented that way, although I've certainly seem it treated as if it did).

I'm a bit bias on the subject but the author did announce her work with a paper claiming "100% undetectable malware". That simply isn't true.

Discussing the practicality of hiding malware is certainly an interesting and research worthy topic. However, IMHO, VT/SVM really doesn't make it any easier than it was in the past.

You could always hook the IDT. That is considerably easier than setting up a full VT/SVM environment.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

I see it as just a (rather neat and clever) proof of concept to show that the VMX/SVM extensions add a new class of attack and a new stealth mechanism for rootkits; no more no less. A heads-up to the security community. And worth pointing out, since existing rootkit detection mechanisms may not be able to detect it once the VMX stealthing is enabled...

I have a feeling that this research has both been reported to be much more, and much less than it really is. The important thing is that it doesn't open a new loophole, but does provide a new tool for attackers (and for defenders!).

Cheers,
Mark