Re: [Xen-devel] Modular Xen

> Hi Keir, I look at it from the perspective of extending instead of
> embeding... This way, Xen will be easily ported to any environment, it will
> be much more easier to program extensions, etc...

Is this really the case, though?

Assuming we're not talking about dynamically loadable modules here, there
would seem to be a fairly limited gain in ease of extension: Xen compiles
*very* quickly already, sufficiently so that it's not particularly
significant compared to the time taken to reboot your machine to test your
changes.

I wouldn't expect the ability to recompile a module separately to make much
difference to this...

There are circumstances where it might be nice to load *something* into Xen at
boot time though...  I think the ACM / sHype work supports (or at least,
supported at some stage) loading policy data as a multiboot module.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!