[Xen-devel] Re: 3.0.3 without X

Ewan Mellor wrote:
On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 01:32:49PM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:

Ewan Mellor wrote:
On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 03:01:08PM +0000, Keir Fraser wrote:

On 4/1/07 14:58, "ron minnich" <rminnich@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

note that we're distributing an x11-free xen for plan 9 support, so I
sure hope that x11 dependencies are not about to start appearing in
xen.
The dependencies are only in HVM-specific bits of the tools/ directory.
Those are easily disabled, albeit with a smidgen of Makefile changes.
They also aren't really X11 dependencies.  That code includes
<X11/keysymdef.h>, because VNC uses the same keysyms as X, but there's no
dependency upon X client libraries.
This dependency is actually a bug that was introduced in the Xen tree (it isn't present in qemu CVS).

The VNC spec makes it pretty clear that you cannot rely on the symbolic names of X keycodes to develop a portable VNC client. Apparently they change slightly across different X implementations.

From www.realvnc.com/docs/rfbproto.pdf:

"The key itself is specified using the "keysym" values defined by the X Window
System.

For most ordinary keys, the "keysym" is the same as the corresponding
ASCII value.  For full details, see The Xlib Reference Manual, published by
O'Reilly & Associates, or see the header file <X11/keysymdef.h> from any X
Window System installation."

And then shortly following it goes on to describe how a number of keys are not universally represented like a backwards tab.

How do we choose which X keysyms to use, if they vary across X
implementations?

By choosing keysyms that are known to work and not relying on buggy X implementations.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Ewan.