[Xen-devel] 3.0.3 pci quirk for adm8211

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] 3.0.3 pci quirk for adm8211
From: Jan Evert van Grootheest <j.e.van.grootheest@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 22:47:22 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 01:29:21 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I have a debian (testing/Etch) system with Xen (3.0.3 as in Debian) on it using the debian 2.6.18 kernel from debian on the host and using almost the same on the guest (adm8211 driver added). One of the user domains is in use as the firewall and has two PCI devices exported into it. One is a adm NC100 regular ethernet NIC (which works without any problems). The other is an adm8211 based wireless card that I'm trying to get to work. Pciback is warning that the driver is attempting to write to the configuration space of this device and that I should report it (the device is not working because, I guess, the driver has some issues).

I think it is in fact the guest linux kernel that is attempting to write to the configuration space of this device, because pciback also reported this back when I didn't yet have a proper driver for that device. I'll double check on that and also set the loglevel high to get any messages from the kernel concerning this.

Something else that's weird is that halting the guest doesn't work properly... please take a look at the last few lines of the guest shutting down (although, since the driver doesn't work properly, this might be a result of that). Note that, in the guest, pci 0:0 is the ethernet nic and 0:1 is the wireless nic. I didn't notice this when the wireless nic was not being used (I mean I don't remember seeing them; they could've been there).
Unmounting local filesystems...done.
Will now halt.
pcifront pci-0: pciback not responding!!!
pcifront pci-0: pciback not responding!!!
pcifront pci-0: pciback not responding!!!
xenbus_dev_shutdown: device/vbd/2050 timeout closing device
System halted.

Also the host is an amd64 machine (UP) with a 64 bit userspace. The guest is also of the amd64 architecture. This is the lspci as seen on the host (after some testing, so it's been used): 00:08.0 Network controller: ADMtek ADM8211 802.11b Wireless Interface (rev 11)
       Subsystem: Standard Microsystems Corp [SMC] Unknown device 2602
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
       Latency: 96 (16000ns min, 32000ns max), Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
       Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
       Region 0: I/O ports at dc00 [size=256]
       Region 1: Memory at cfffe800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
       Expansion ROM at cff80000 [disabled] [size=128K]
       Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=100mA PME(D0+,D1+,D2+,D3hot+,D3cold+)

This is the quirk that prevents the warning (and no others appear):
(adm8211
   (pci_ids
       # Entries are formated as follows:
       ('1317:8201'
       )
   )
   (pci_config_space_fields
       # Entries are formated as follows:
       # size is measured in bytes (1,2,4 are valid sizes)
       # mask is currently unused; use all zero's
       ('000000c4:2:00000000'
       )
   )
)

I don't know what is at 0xc4 in the configuration space of the adm8211 (and couldn't easily find it from the sources).

Anything else you need? Please ask.

Please CC me as I'm not subscribed.

Many thanks,
Jan Evert