Re: [Xen-devel] Timeline for migrating to newer Linux kernels?

To: "Zulauf, John" <john.zulauf@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Timeline for migrating to newer Linux kernels?
From: Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 19:21:57 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:21:52 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zulauf, John wrote:
What is the schedule/plan for moving the Xen linux kernel development to the something far nearer the tip of the kernel.org tree?

This has been an ongoing issue for well over the last year.

XenSource has usually been less than useful when it comes
to tracking the upstream kernel.  I suspect they'll be
obsoleted by KVM and/or lhype at some point in the future,
because those will just be there in the upstream kernel
while Xen won't.

If XenSource has any intention of having Xen stay relevant
in the future, they'll want to seriously pursue an upstream
merge of their code.

At the moment Xen is still the leader when it comes to features
and performance (http://virt.kernelnewbies.org/TechComparison),
but who knows how long that will last?

--
Politics is the struggle between those who want to make their country
the best in the world, and those who believe it already is.  Each group