Re: [Xen-devel] FreeBSD boot loader problem on VT-x

Hi

I tried unsuccessfully to boot FreeBSD HVM on VT-x hardware. Reading a
couple of discussion on xen-devel list, I found that other people also
have the same problem. The problem is identified with real mode
emulation in VMXAssist.
(http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-05/msg01300.htm
l)

In May 2006, one post mentioned plans to replace VMX assist with full
emulation.
(http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-05/msg01442.htm
l). I would like to know if there is a way to get the full emulation
feature if available. If not, is there an alternative way to boot
FreeBSD on VT-x.

Information about this project is described here:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HVM/V2E

Basically, it adds support for extracting CPU state from Xen and putting it into the Qemu CPU emulator and running fully emulated within the device model (currently in dom0) for a bit. The state is pushed back into Xen when emulation is no longer necessary and execution continues as normal.

The wiki page includes an address for the repository. It's working for booting Linux guests but for other OSes YMMV. If you do test this with FreeBSD, could you please let us know how it goes / update the wiki page? I'm sure extra data points would be interesting to some.

Cheers,
Mark