Re: [Xen-devel] Related to Xen Terminology

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Related to Xen Terminology
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 01:54:20 +0000
Cc: Sameer Ahuja <sameer.ahuja@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 17:53:31 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Can anyone please tell me what does pinning and unpinning of pages mean
> in XEN?

Pinning is a way for a guest to tell Xen what type a page should have.  It is
a performance optimisation.

For instance, a guest could pin some pages as containing pagetable entries.
When they are pinned, Xen can validate that they are valid (and safe)
entries, then write protect the page to prevent modifications.  The page will
retain its type and validated status until it's unpinned.

If you couldn't do this, Xen would have to revalidate entire page tables
whenever a new pagetable tree was loaded.

HTH,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!