[Xen-devel] Re: hvm save restore support

To: "Zhai, Edwin" <edwin.zhai@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: hvm save restore support
From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:02:51 +0000
Cc: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 00:03:14 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 14/12/06 2:46 am, "Zhai, Edwin" <edwin.zhai@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> How did you deal with PCI device init getting moved to hvmloader? Looks like
>> this patch reverts some of that, which doesn't seem the right answer.
> yes, it's just work around.
> but bios code never be called when restore. i think it's why qemu doesn't move
> it to bios.
>
> do you have any good idea?

It doesn't matter that BIOS code is not executed on restore. What qemu
should be doing is saving the PCI configuration spaces -- at least the
important bits (BARs, command register) but probably it may as well save the
whole 256 bytes per device.

If it's not doing this already then that's rather scary. What if the OS
decides to shuffle PCI resources around, which is its right to do?

 -- Keir